Charles Cowap MBA MRICS FAAV MRAC
New Knowledge for Rural Professional Practice
Teaching, Research and Reachout roles
Most of my teaching work is with land management undergraduate and postgraduate students. In particular I specialise in valuation, rural taxation and rural estate management. This year I am supervising several dissertations in these areas, including two projects that are looking at the relationship between tenancy duration and soil management. This also reflects my research and development interests. I am currently involved in several projects concerning with the implications of the Ecosystems Approach for rural land management. These include a peatland restoration and management project on Exmoor (for water management and carbon storage), the National Ecosystem Assessment Follow On Group and a project funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council at Dundee University focussed on the legal implications of 'paying for nature'.
I also work very closely with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers in the development of new areas of professional practice, and in the development and delivery of professional CPD (continuing professional development) for practitioners. Over the last year this has included the development of a series of web classes for RICS Training. Outputs in the last few years have included the RICS Guidance Note on the Valuation of Trees for amenity and related purposes, RICS Information Paper on the Valuation of Renewable Energy Installations, and the RICS International Thinkpiece, New challenges to international professional practice: from market value to natural value.
I blog and tweet on these and related professional matters.
Contact details for Charles Cowap:
Other Research Interests
- Work Based Learning and HE Employer Engagement
- Distributed organisational learning in the rural economy
- Statutory Valuation and taxation of rural estates and enterprises
- Scenario Planning for the Rural Economy
- Comparative (international) land management and administration
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Central Association of Agricultural Valuers
- Higher Education Academy
- RICS (2012) New Challenges to International Professional Practice: from Market Value to Natural Value
- Estates Gazette August 2012, Renewable Energy Valuations
- Cowap C (2013) From Market Value to Natural Value RICS Land Journal, pp12-13; London: RICS
Harper Adams University supports OpenFields, the online land-based library.
Loading publication details from OpenFields...
- Cowap, C (2013) From market value to natural value RICS Land Journal, Feb/Mar 2013, pp 12-13, RICS, London
- RICS (2012) New challenges to international professional practice: from market value to natural value RICS Thinkpiece, monograph. London, RICS RICS monograph. London, RICS ([Author: Charles Cowap]Download available below)
- Cowap C (2012) Concise Rural Taxation 2012/13 (Newport, Shropshire: Harper Adams University College)
- Cowap CD (2009) Corporate Social Responsibility and the Rural Estate RICS Land Journal, pp14-15, London: RICS June 2009
- Moody J and Cowap C (2008) Rent Reviews under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, London and Coleford: RICS and CAAV, RICS Information Paper and CAAV Numbered Publication 190
- Cowap CD (2008) Taxation for Students of Rural Land Management, Newport, Harper Adams (Annual publication for students and practitioners of rural land management,)
- Cowap CD (2008) The Valuation of Agricultural Property, Chapter 1 in Hayward R (2008) Valuation Principles into Practice, 6th edn, London: Estates Gazette
- RICS and CAAV liaison
- RICS APC Assessor and Panel Chair
- On and off-site professional training and development including bespoke CPD
- RICS Education Trust (trustee)
- RICS Research Trust (trustee)
- CAAV Council: Board Member
- RICS Rural Professional Group: Board member
- Management Development Services Ltd: Director/Board Member
- Rural Estates Correspondent, Estates Gazette