Dr Andrew Cherrill PhD CEnv MCIEEM
Senior Lecturer in Applied Ecology and Entomology
- Applied ecology
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Countryside management
- Insect pollinators
- Biodiversity patterns along gradients of agricultural and urban intensification
- Vegetation management for invertebrate conservation
- Inter-observer variation in vegetation mapping
- Association of Applied Biologists
- British Ecological Society
- Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management
- Royal Entomological Society
- Investigating the effect of natural enemies and environmental conditions on soil populations of saddle gall midge (Haplodiplosis marginata) - Second Supervisor
- Cherrill, A.J. (2016) Inter-observer variation in habitat survey data: investigating the consequences for professional practice. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 59: 1813-1832.
- Rowley, C., Cherrill, A., Leather, S., Nicholls, C., Ellis, S. & Pope, T. (2016) A review of the biology, ecology and control of saddle gall midge, Haplodiplosis marginata (Diptera, Cecidomyiidae) with a focus on phenological forecasting. Annals of Applied Biology 169: 167-179.
- Zentane, E., Quenu, H., Graham, R. & Cherrill, A.J. (2016) Suction samplers for grassland invertebrates: comparison of numbers caught using Vortis and G-vac devices. Insect Conservation and Diversity 9(5): 470-474.
- Cherrill, A. (2015) Large-scale spatial patterns in species richness of Orthoptera in the Greater London area, United Kingdom: relationships with land cover. Landscape Research 40: 476-485.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2015) Suction sampling of grassland invertebrates using the G-vac: quantifying and avoiding peripheral suction effects. European Journal of Entomology 112: 520-524.
- Stead, V., Cherrill, A. & Pope, T. (2015) Tuning into crayfish. Bulletin of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management - In Practice 89: 11-13.
- Cherrill, A. (2014) The occurrence, causes and consequences of inter-observer variation in identification of Phase 1 and NVC vegetation types. Bulletin of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management - In Practice 86: 25-28.
- Cherrill, A. (2013) Issues in survey reliability: Launch of a survey of CIEEM members. In Practice - Bulletin of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management 82: 35-36.
- Cherrill, A. (2013) Repeatability of vegetation mapping using Phase 1 and NVC approaches: Implications for professional practice and surveyors’ training requirements Bulletin of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Managment - In Practice 81: pp. 41-45.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2011) Species richness of Orthoptera in agricultural landscapes. Aspects of Applied Biology 108: 73-80
- Prasad, K., Cherrill, A.J., Pullan, S., & McNaught, A. (2011) Trends in numbers of birds on farms with Countryside Stewardship arable options in North East England 2003-2009. Aspects of Applied Biology 108: 161-170.
- Sparks, T., Britt, C., Cherrill, A., Marrs, R., Mortimer, S., Pywell, R., Rotherham, I., Stokes, V. & Westbury, D.(Editors). (2011) Aspects of Applied Biology 108, Vegetation Management, Association of Applied Biologists, Warwick, UK. 272pp.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2010) Species richness of Orthoptera along gradients of agricultural intensification and urbanisation. Journal of Orthoptera Research 19: 293-301.
- Andrews, M., Maule, H., Hodge, S., Cherrill, A.J. & Raven, J.A. (2009) Seed dormancy, nitrogen nutrition and shade acclimation of Impatiens glandulifera: implications for invasion of deciduous woodland. Plant Ecology and Diversity 2: 145-153.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2009) Reporting, archiving and sharing ecological data: guidance on Metadata Standards. IEEM Technical Guidance Series.
- Cherrill, A.J., Pullan, S. & Jefferson, R. (Editors) (2009) The ecology and management of grasslands in North East England. Proceedings of the 1st North East England Conference of the Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management, 2nd April 2007. 94pp.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2007) Reporting, archiving and sharing ecological survey data: do we need metadata standards? Developing best practice in survey and reporting. Proceedings of IEEM’s Spring Conference, 18th April 2007, London. Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management, Winchester.
- Cherrill, A.J., Atkinson, D., Zhang, C., & Zeng, G. (2007) Heathland creation on former agricultural land in Gateshead, North East England. Aspects of Applied Biology 82: 13-22.
- Britt, C., Cherrill, A., Le Duc, M., Marrs, R., Pywell, R., Sparks, T. & Willoughby. (Editors). (2007) Aspects of Applied Biology 82, Vegetation Management, Association of Applied Biologists, Warwick, UK. 226pp.
- Cherrill, A.J. & Haswell, M. (2006) Identifying the stage and developmental history of grasshoppers (Orthoptera: Acrididae) in a species with a variable number of instars. Entomologists Gazette 57: 109-114.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2005) Body size and phenology of the grasshopper species Chorthippus brunneus with variable numbers of female instars. Entomologia Generalis 28: 219-231.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2004) Notation of the developmental stages of the British grasshoppers (Orthoptera: Acrididae) with variable numbers of instars. Entomologist’s Gazette 55: 181-183.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2004) An autecological comparison of common and scarce plants of hedgerow ground floras in northern England. Aspects of Applied Biology 72: 191-200.
- Cherrill, A.J. (2002) Relationships between oviposition date, hatch date, and offspring size in the grasshopper Chorthippus brunneus. Ecological Entomology 27: 521-528.
- Holmes, S., Cherrill, A.J. & Davies, M. (2002) The surface characteristics of pedal mucus: a potential aid to the settlement of marine organisms? Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 82: 131-139.
- Cherrill, A.J. & McClean, C. (2001) Omission and commission errors in the field mapping of linear boundary features: Implications for the interpretation of maps and organisation of surveys. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 44: 331-343.
- Holmes, S., Sturgess, C., Cherrill, A.J. & Davies, M. (2001) Shell wiping in Calliostoma zizyphinum: the use of pedal mucus as a provendering agent and its contribution to energetic requirements. Marine Ecology Progress Series 212: 171-181.
- Cherrill, A.J., Mercer, C., McClean, C. & Tudor, G. (2001) Assessing the floristic diversity of hedge networks: a landscape perspective. Landscape Research 26: 55-64.
- Cherrill, A.J. & McClean, C. (2000) Lack of precision in mapping upland habitats and preliminary conservation assessments. Aspects of Applied Biology 58: 167-172
- Maule, H., Andrews, M., Watson, C. & Cherrill, A.J. (2000) Distribution, biomass and effect on native species of Impatiens glandulifera in a deciduous woodland in northeast England. Aspects of Applied Biology 58: 31-38.