UK Immigration (EU)

EU Referendum

As a student or applicant from the European Union, we understand that the outcome of the recent EU Referendum may have resulted in some questions concerning your ability to study in the UK. The University remains committed to the principle of inclusivity and to taking a global outlook in the subjects we provide. We therefore wish to do all we can to ensure that students from other EU nations are able to study here and that they can make the most of all that the University has to offer.

The advice we have received so far is that, unless and until the UK Government decides otherwise, all current EU students who are studying in the UK will see no change to their immigration status. Similarly, there is no reason to suggest that applicants from the EU who are planning to join courses in the UK in the 2016/17 academic year should expect to see a change in their status. Students on the Erasmus programme should also expect to see no change in their circumstances while the UK is still in the EU.

Student Finance has advised as follows:

EU nationals or their family members, currently in higher education, and who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the Student Loans Company (SLC), will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course. This applies to all student finance from the SLC for students in England for which EU nationals are eligible. This includes loans to cover tuition fees (for those resident in the EEA for three years), loans and grants for maintenance (limited to those resident in the UK for at least three years), and some other grants and allowances.

The rules applying to EU nationals, or their family members, who have applied for a place at university from this August to study a course which attracts student support are unchanged. The SLC will assess these applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide loans and/or grants in the normal way. EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/ or loans by the SLC will then be eligible for the duration of their study on that course. These eligibility criteria set out that for students beginning study from this August, EU nationals must have been resident in the UK for at least five years in order to apply for a maintenance loan.

Students and applicants should, if they wish, contact the University's Registry and Admissions Office for further information about their particular circumstances. Our staff will be happy to talk to you and provide advice. We will also endeavour to inform EU students and applicants of any further developments. In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming those of you due to join us for the 2016/17 academic year in September.

Being a student in a foreign country has many benefits, but there are a number of things which must be considered before going overseas. Immigration in the UK is mainly governed by the Immigration Act 1970. British and Commonwealth citizens with the right of abode before 1983 are not subject to immigration control.

Europe Citizens of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) are not subject to UK immigration control where the period of residence will be less than 3 months. However, the Right of Residence in order to study in a Member State for more than three months is subject to some conditions.

You must:

  • be enrolled at an approved educational establishment
  • be covered by adequate health insurance
  • have sufficient means to prevent you becoming a burden on the social security system of the Member State

Provided that you satisfy these conditions, the authorities in the host Member State (the UK in this instance) will confirm your right of residence by issuing you with an EU residence permit. If your course lasts less than a year, the permit will be for the duration of your course. If your course lasts more than a year, the permit will be for one year, but renewable annually. (In practice, the UK National Health Service will provide health treatment for all foreign students as if they are UK citizens, except where treatment is required for cosmetic reasons only).

Similar rights are extended to the immediate family of an EU student wishing to study in another Member State. The full details of the rights of students with European Union nationality are available from the European Commission (Directorate-General XV: Internal Market and Financial Services). A booklet is available in English called 'Studying, Training and doing Research in another country of the European Union' (Code C1-08-97-016-EN-C). This booklet is likely to be available in all the official languages of the EU and further details can also be obtained from the European Union Website.