Postgraduate funding

Useful websites

Postgraduate loans

The application process for Masters degrees student loans is open. Visit to apply.

Student loans for Masters degrees were introduced by the government for the 2016/17 academic year of entry, and are available up to a maximum value of £10,000.

  • The loans are available for both taught and research Masters programmes.  Loans are being introduced for PhD students in 2018/19.
  • Students aged under 60, on the first day of the academic year will be eligible for Masters loans.
  • In order to be eligible you will need to be a UK national and resident in England for at least 3 years (not including study periods), or an EU citizen.
  • Loans are only available to students studying their first Masters degree.
  • Postgraduate loans are available for all one year full-time, two year part-time and three year part-time Masters courses, where there is no equivalent full-time course.  
  • If your course is longer than one year you can get up to £5,000 in the first year and the remainder in the second year.  If you are studying part-time for three or four years, you'll get all your loan payments in the first two years of the course.
  • The loan is paid in three instalments during the academic year.
  • Loans will be subject to an interest rate of RPI+3%. and repayments will not begin until 2019.
  • Repayments will be income-contingent and made concurrently with undergraduate loans. Rates will be set at 6% of annual income over £21,000.
  • Loans are provided by the Student Loans Company (SLC)

To find out more visit the and Student Finance England websites.

Access to Learning Fund

In addition to the postgraduate scholarships, UK students are eligible to apply for financial support from the University's Access to Learning Fund if they can demonstrate the need for such assistance. Applications can only be made once you have registered as a student.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

DSAs are grants to help students meet the extra costs of studying they may face as a direct result of a disability or a specific learning difficulty. They are available for postgraduate students whether full or part-time, are not means-assessed (i.e. do not depend on your household income) and do not have to be repaid. The amount you receive depends on your individual circumstances and - if you are part time - the intensity of your course.

You will need to show your local education authority written proof of your disability from an appropriate medical professional. If you have a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, the local authority may ask you to have an independent assessment carried out to establish this, which you will have to pay for, although you may ask Harper Adams for help towards it through our Access to Learning Fund.

To apply you may either:

  • Ask your local education authority to post you an application form, or
  • Download the application form DSA1 and the information booklet 'Bridging the Gap' from

Other sources of funding

Postgraduate funding is not straightforward and may involve some research on your part. The following is a list of suggestions, but you may well find others, depending on your contacts and area of interest.

  • UK Research Councils (various councils catering for different subjects - UK students only)
  • Specialised funding schemes appropriate to rural/land-based study
  • Charities and trusts
  • Funding through employment including sponsorship by employers, research and graduate teaching assistantships, part-time work, part-time study or research
  • Other forms of finance including personal savings, parental/family contribution or loan, Career Development Loans, bank loan, grant from a trust or charity, access funds.

International students should contact The British Council or their country's education ministry for advice on alternative sources of funding.