Princess Margaret Science Laboratories
- S4 Molecular Biology
- S5 Nutrition
- S8 Soils
- S12 Project
- S20 Crop Protection
- S21 Applied Biology
- S22 Molecular Diagnostics
- Applied Science
The Princess Margaret Laboratory complex contains laboratories with up-to-date equipment for the analysis of agricultural, environmental and food samples and provides excellent resources for science teaching. It is the University's well-founded laboratory status, distinctive amongst institutions of our type and size, which has been pivotal to Harper Adams being successful in obtaining both taught and research degree awarding powers.
The laboratory complex includes six well-equipped teaching laboratories for undergraduate practical classes in the areas of Applied Biology, Microbiology, Nutrition, Crop Protection, Soils and Molecular Biology. Separate research laboratories support both undergraduate and postgraduate work in these areas and the most recent development has been the creation of a purpose-built Molecular Diagnostics lab equipped to extract, amplify and visualise DNA using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The Princess Margaret Laboratories are staffed by a team of well qualified and enthusiastic technicians who facilitate the provision of science teaching and research for a wide variety of Harper Adams' students. These include those studying for foundation degrees, final year undergraduates doing laboratory-based projects and also those who embarkon postgraduate programmes. Harper Adams is therefore exceptionally well-placed to make science accessible to students at all levels.
Other science-related facilities provide environmental control or monitoring and include a large experimental glasshouse, animal production buildings, a metabolism room and an automatic weather station.
- Improving the use of brassicas to control pests in potatoes
- A better understanding of phosphorus: stronger, healthier pigs?
- Getting to the root of disease problems in oilseed rape
- Understanding copper metabolism in sheep
- Waterproofing oilseed rape crops to protect from drought
- Controlling pests in potatoes using brassica cover crops
- Oats resistance to fungal contamination: genetics or sowing date?
- A better understanding of a major potato pest: improved crop management?
- Tannins to increase available silage protein for cattle and sheep?