Frequently Asked Questions

Comprehensive information on applying can be found on our How to Apply page.

^ Back to the top

Each Hall of Residence is a different shape and size, each with its own attributes and benefits, for an overview of each Hall please visit the Halls of Residence pages.

^ Back to the top

Accommodation fees increase year on year in line with inflation, please download our current fees (2014/15) information.

All accommodation is inclusive of the following term time services: heating, lighting, wired internet access, a regular cleaner, a weekly laundry service and for those in catered accommodation; three meals per day from Monday to Friday. Meals are available at the weekend on a 'pay as you go' service. This service is also available to self catered students throughout the week.

^ Back to the top

For undergraduate students all accommodation fees are based on a 36 week contract. You pay for your accommodation during term time plus the Christmas vacation which means you can leave all of your belongings in your room during the Christmas break. Prices have been calculated to reflect the provision of all services (e.g. meals for catered students, cleaning and laundry for all residents) on a term time only basis. Please note that the majority of residents will be requested to vacate their room, in full, for the Easter vacation so that the Halls of Residence to be used for conference guests. Storage space and alternative accommodation can be provided, by liaison with Student Services, for those who require it.

^ Back to the top

Please visit the Halls of Residence pages and familiarise yourself with what each Hall has to offer and consider the following:

  • Analyse your budget - An en-suite catered room is a lot more expensive than a bedroom in a shared University house
  • Would you like to be catered or self catered?
  • Would you like / need an en-suite or would you be happier sharing facilities?
  • Decide whether you would be happier in mixed halls / a single sex flat / a single sex floor within a mixed halls etc.
  • Decide how much space you will need, en-suite rooms are smaller than non en-suite rooms

When you complete your online application, you will be required to list all different types of accommodation by order of preference.

Finally... visit Harper Adams, take a campus tour, have a good nosey in all of the halls and rooms. Where can you envisage yourself?

^ Back to the top

You will be asked to list your choice of accommodation in order of preference for each accommodation type. Whilst every effort is made to secure your first choice, this is not always possible. Accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis, so the sooner you complete and return your application form the more likely it is that you will be allocated your first choice of accommodation.

Please bear in mind that the online application process will be launched on Wednesday 25th May 2016, and only after you have been offered and accept a place at Harper Adams, so please understand that there may be students who complete this stage much earlier on, for example those who deferred their entry from the previous year.

Students with an established need (e.g. students with a disability) will be given priority on certain adapted rooms, any specific needs will need to be noted on the application form in order for these to be considered during the allocation process.

^ Back to the top

We will be releasing accommodation offers on 18th August, from 5.00pm. If we are unable to offer you your first choice, we will try to offer your second choice but this is not always possible due to the high demand for on-campus accommodation and certain types of accommodation in particular. We request that all students accept their allocated accommodation and 'give it a go' for the first 6 weeks, many students find that they couldn't be happier but if you are still unsure you may apply in writing to the Accommodation Officer every effort will then be made to honour your request wherever possible.

^ Back to the top

Please note that all students who are under the age of 18 when commencing their studies at Harper Adams will be required to live in Boughey Halls of Residence, in designated under 18 accommodation. These flats will only be accessible by students under the age of 18 and appropriately CRB checked members of staff and Wardens. Once students have turned 18 they may submit a written request to move to an alternative room / Hall of Residence, every effort will then be made to honour your request wherever possible.

^ Back to the top

After your first year at Harper Adams you are required to live off campus in order for new students in their first year of study at Harper Adams to experience living in Halls of Residence. This provides continuing students the opportunity to broaden their own experiences by living independently, with friends, in local privately rented accommodation. All off campus students are offered support and guidance with the whole process, from house hunting through to living together. There is no shortage of off-campus accommodation, ranging from lodgings, small flats to bigger houses, in Newport and surrounding villages. For more information about off campus housing please visit our Off Campus Living pages.

^ Back to the top

With over 600 students living on campus our efficient Laundry staff need to know exactly whose clothes are whose, just in case the occasional sock or t-shirt goes astray during the washing and ironing process. Your washing will need to be sent to the laundry in an appropriate laundry bag (cotton/linen, non-wired) which must also be clearly labelled with your name. Further information will be sent to students with accepted offers prior to arrival.

^ Back to the top

Harper Adams catering department are an award winning team who pride themselves on offering quality locally sourced food. In summary - great breakfast to start the day, good portions, plenty of variety and the catering team work hard to please our students. They are always open to suggestions and new ideas, if you think something is missing, get in touch!

If you have any specific diet requirements, our catering team is able to cater in most situations as long as you let us know in advance. Please ensure that you advise Student Services of any specific diet requirements or other allergies prior to your arrival.

^ Back to the top

Whether your favourite TV makes you cry with laughter or puts you on the edge of your seat, it's really important you know when you need a TV Licence.

When do I need a licence?
You need to be covered by a licence if you're watching or recording television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This applies whatever device you're watching on - a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or games console - and however you're receiving the programmes – via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet.

It's the law, and anyone living on campus who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Your parents' TV Licence probably won't cover you when you're away from home, and your hall's licence won't either. However, there are some rare occasions where you could be covered. To check whether these apply to you, please contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.

Don't risk it!
If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence, you're breaking the law and risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs. It's not worth the risk and you'll still need to buy a TV Licence if you want to continue watching TV.

A colour TV Licence costs £145.50. There are lots of different ways to pay – all in one go or spreading the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly. Just choose whatever's best for you.

Don't forget the student refund
If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you can get a refund for the unused quarter of your licence.

You'll need to buy your licence by the end of September/early October to allow enough time at the end of the academic year to qualify for a refund. The refund will be around £37, and can be claimed at the end of the academic year.

If you'd like a refund or further information, simply click here or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.

When don't I need a licence?
If you only ever watch Blu-rays, DVDs or downloaded videos, you don't need a TV Licence.

If you think you don't need one, you can find out more information by visiting

^ Back to the top

If electrical items such as electric kettles, televisions, mini fridges/coolers, stereos and computers are brand new (out of the box), you do not need to carry out PAT testing but you will need to provide the receipt to prove when it has been purchased. Inspections will be done at random at the start of the academic year. Where an electrical item fails the PAT test, it will be removed by the Estates and Facilities Department or Domestic Services Department for safe keeping. The student will be advised in person or a card will be left. The student will be required to arrange and pay for a repair and the item will be re-tested and if it passes, returned to the student. Where an item is not repaired successfully within six weeks, it will be disposed of via the correct route by the Estates Department.

^ Back to the top