Higher education and research for the delivery of a sustainable food chain and rural economy.
- An institution that is closely related to the needs of the rural economy and industries reliant upon the rural economy, with a specific commitment to sustainable agriculture, re-establishing connections between food producers and consumers, knowledge transfer to support the rural economy and the international dimension of environmental and food chain sustainability
- The development of national and international markets for students from a wide range of backgrounds wishing to specialise in rural subjects, with associated course and pedagogic developments
- A learning environment and promotion of a student culture that enhance personal development and employability
- Strong industry links that add business relevance to the University's role in higher education and encourage lifelong learning
- A central role for the University in generating and promoting innovation in the application of science and technological advances within the global agri-food chain and the wider rural sector
To achieve our mission and vision we will continue to employ a set of core values to underpin our work, and which will shape our future planning and policy developments, namely:
- The development of intellectual and professional skills to enable individuals to realise their full personal, social and academic potential and to participate in lifelong learning.
- A commitment to building partnerships with industry, the professions and the community to promote the transfer of knowledge.
- A commitment to extend the boundaries of knowledge and understanding by conducting strategic and applied research.
- The provision of support for the personal, academic and professional development of all members of the University community.
- The development of the University's estate and educational resources to improve our learning environment.
- The delivery of planning systems and a framework for governance and management that will provide a sustainable financial foundation for the work of the University.
- An ethical approach to all activities in which the University and its staff are engaged, with special reference to the production of food and management of the environment.